Hiccups happen when there’s a blockage in the flow of air. Well, it is said that hiccups can happen for no reason. When it happens for a short while it can be quite annoying and uncomfortable. But even at that, it’s nothing to worry about. But when it happens consistently over a period of time then it could be a result of a serious medical issue. Well, there are times that there are continuous hiccups in old age.
Many times, there is no underlying medical condition. It’s just due to changes in the structures in the body that are involved in the passage of air. Even at this, a checkup is important whenever the hiccup is consistent, even in old age.
The good thing about hiccups is that in most cases it would go on its own. But when it starts to present with symptoms that could lead to other complications treatment is needed. Normally hiccups should last for just a few seconds to minutes. But if the hiccup continues for more than 48 hours, then you have to go see a doctor. Most likely, the doctor would give you muscle relaxants to help reduce the hiccups. Let’s take a look at some of the home remedies that can be done for continuous hiccups.
Causes of Hiccups
Even though the exact cause of this condition is not yet known, we will be taking a look at the mechanisms with which it happens. So hiccups are known to be repetitive and also uncontrollable. The uncontrollable contractions come to a result of the diaphragm muscle.
So the diaphragm happens to be the muscle that is located below the lungs. And it is known to be a boundary between the chest and the abdomen. One thing the diaphragm does is that it helps in the regulation of breathing.
When the diaphragm contracts the lungs would take in oxygen. And at the time of relaxation, the lungs would release carbon dioxide. When the diaphragm doesn’t contract as it should there would be hiccups. When a person is having hiccups there is an influx of air into the lungs. And that’s why the body would react with a chirp or a gasp. That’s when the characteristic hiccup sound is made.
The truth is that no one can anticipate hiccups. When the spasm happens there is a tightening of the chest and throat. And this produces the hiccup sound.
Many of the cases of hiccups start abruptly and also end suddenly. And the thing is that there is no known reason for it. When hiccups last for more than 48 hours they are known to be persistent. But when they last for more than 2 months they are known to be intractable. This type is also quite difficult to manage.
We have a list of some of the common causes of abrupt hiccups. And they are:
- Consuming alcohol
- Eating spicy food
- Taking carbonated drinks
- Sudden change in air temperature
- Emotional stress and excitement
- Taking in too much air while breathing
- Swallowing air when chewing a gum
If it’s consistent then it’s most likely due to a medical condition. Some of the medical conditions associated with this are:
- Respiratory conditions like asthma and pneumonia
- Problems with the central nervous system
- Liver and kidney conditions
- Psychological reactions
- Conditions that affect the autonomic nervous system
Natural Home Remedies for Continuous Hiccups in Old Age
So some natural remedies can help deal with continuous hiccups. Let’s take a look at some of them.
- Emergency actions: There are certain things that you can do that would actually help reduce and stop the hiccups. Some of the emergency actions are:
- Use the thumb of one hand to press the palm of the other hand. Make sure the press is hard.
- Take a deep breath and hold it for a while. This would cause a buildup of carbon dioxide in the lungs. And when this happens it would cause the relaxation of the diaphragm.
- Go somewhere a bit private if you’re in the public. And then stick your fingers in your ears or about 20-30 seconds. Or you can press the soft area behind the earlobes. This would help send a relaxed signal to the area that connects to the diaphragm.
- Also in a private place, you can try to stick out your tongue. This would help stimulate the space between your vocal cords to open up. With this, you would be able to breathe smoothly.
- Cover your nose and mouth with your hands but make sure you are breathing normally. This will provide you with relief because of the extra dose of carbon dioxide.
- Drink!: Let’s take a look at some of the ways drinking water would help reduce hiccups.
- Take about 9-10 sips of water continuously. The fact that there is a rhythmic contraction of the esophagus could override the spasms being produced by the diaphragm.
- Also, try blocking your ears while drinking water. Use a straw to sip the water while you stick your hands in your ears. This is effective because you are pressing against the vagus nerve and at the same time you are swallowing the water steadily.
- Place a layer of paper towels on the glass of water. And then try to drink through that. You would have to do a pulling action with the help of the diaphragm to help suck the water. And this would help ease hiccups.
- Edible cures: Let’s take a look at some things you can eat to help reduce hiccups.
- Mix a teaspoon of either sugar or honey in warm water. After that place the mixture at the back of your tongue. Then swallow it.
- Cut a slice of lemon and suck it. Something sour can actually help reduce hiccups.
- Take one teaspoon of apple cider vinegar. For many people, this is not easy at all. But if you can do this you can be sure of fast results.
You can be sure that all the natural home remedies for continuous old age are indeed very effective.